Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sharing vs. getting my way

I have been struggling lately to find the right way to handle a daily squabble with the three little kittens... It seems like I always here someone screaming about what character they want to be or what toy they get to hold. How as the teacher and the adult, do I decide who gets what? Today the youngest wanted to join in on a game that was already in progress. Of course this turned into the oldest pushing him, the middle screaming and the youngest giggling as he stole all the pieces! CHAOS! The youngest and I took a moment away from the game to discuss the issue. His response to me was to ask why he was in trouble when the other two were the ones not Sharing... Hmm... Good question. I explained to him that he was not in trouble, but that he had to be nice and ask to join a game. Yes the girls Should share and give him a character but he may not get his first choice. 
Both sides had good points! Both sides were correct, but it can be hard to explain the other perspective! A technique I often use is the peace table! Then the kids have a chance to talk out how they feel an must problem solve together! 
Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment